Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a open public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and arranged liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the family members after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so here more time could be allocated to crops and pet care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the battle ended people were able to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Along with the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a federal offer, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Saint Joseph Missouri Joseph acquired a population of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic military to the conflict. The community remained strong and extended to enhance the Community, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its drinking water supply, and proceeds get more info to take action.